Friday, October 14, 2011

Never enough

I was recently asked what kind of story I was trying to tell with Victims of Circumstance. It was brought to my attention that, after reading the script and reviewing footage, there wasn't enough of a love story to call the film a Love story; not enough drama to call it a Drama; same thing with action and comedy. Basically, I was told that the story lacked a clear narrative and the pacing was inconsistent.

I've never been happier to hear words of critique.

When I set out to write VOC I knew that I wanted to tell a story that was as close to real life as I could get. In my experience, Real Life never has enough of the right kind of drama, love, action or comedy. Sometimes Life is painfully slow and suddenly, without notice, the pace quickens and multiple Big events occur in rapid succession, and then it slows back down.

That's Life. That's Real.

I think that as a result you have two choices: You can either resent the fact that there is not enough of the "good stuff" or you can take a breath and savor the snippets you are given, making the most of them at every turn.

That is the story of VOC.

If you are looking for a film that has a cookie-cutter Hollywood narrative, you're going to be quite disappointed. There are enough movies like that cluttering shelves and hard drives the world over. I was going for something unique, something that stays closer to true, something Real.

We are just a few months away from the day VOC premiers to the world and on that day I challenge you to open your mind and be ready for an experience that is far removed from the slick narratives you are used to. I challenge you to be ready to ponder a snapshot of Life in all it's painful, inconsistently paced, refreshingly inspirational glory.

Stay tuned, True Believers. This ride has barely just begun.

-paul

1 comment: